2019-11-16

Bodypump 111 Review : Easiest Version Ever, but...

Stay in shape is the key to enjoy climbing mountains. However, I want to enjoy training as well. 

BODYPUMP is the most fun training I have done in my life.  My training style is stated here at How to Stay in Shape for Big Hiking 

BODYPUMP releases new versions every three months So now here I will review version 111.

So far I did 111 four times. At first I thought, "Wow, this is not really hard! Especially squats tracks and biceps track. It seems that I am not wrong. My instructor said that it was a good chance to increase a little heavier weight than usual, which implies 111 is not as tough as other versions. 

So, I increased the weight. For example, usually I use 25 Kg for squat tracks (each side 2 plates of 5 kg, and 1 plate of 2.5 Kg). This time I used 27 Kg (each side 1 plate of 10 Kg and 1 plate of 2.5 Kg and 1 plate of 1 Kg).  For biceps tracks, I used 9 Kg instead of 7 Kg. As a result, grrr, it is tough version. The reason why I titled this entry "easiest version ever, but..."

BODYPUMP is always hard. 

So now, each track's review.

Track1: Warmup

Music: Speechless (Nicolas Haelg Remix) by Robin Schulz feat. Erika Sirola

I like more as I listen to the song every time. This is a medium hardness of warmup, but including slow clean and presses.

Track2: Squats

Music: Chase The Sun (Extended Mix) by Hardwell & Dannic feat. Keli- Leigh

At first I thought this is really easy, because only first half is done with a bar. Even with a bar, there are not many bottom halves. There are a number of repeats of "2 singles, 3 bottom halves", but not like 8 bottoms, which is a butt-killer. This is why I added a baby plate each side from the second time I did 111. Although just 2 kg increase, this has a real impact: you know this feeling if you are BODYPUMPer. 

Second half is squats with plates and strengthen calves by standing on the toe. Once I had a big sore on my calves from other training, so that day was really tough. However, I am not sure this version. I still think this is too easy. Come on Les Mills!

I like the song.

Track3: Chest

Music: Youngblood by 5 Seconds of Summer

First of all, this music video starts with old Japanese couple's conversation saying thank you for 60 years. The rest of video is also  apparently recorded in Japan. The dancing guys in Tokyo look a little weird, but I am happy to see Japan featured in American popular music. 

This chest track can be done by chest flies with hand weights, or with a bar. My first instructor only gave us hand weights options, so I didn't know that bar is an option until I took another instructor's class. Using a bar is more difficult in my opinion. Again there are walking pushups, which is recent trend. This is not the hardest one I have ever done in the chest tracks, but it is good one.

Track4: Back

Music: Reserve by Egzod feat. Leo The Kind

It is not very hard, unless you increase the weight. The new choreography here is low-pull, high-pull, clean and press. This repeat (8 times) is hard! I am totally fine with previous weight I used at 110, but now I have 2 Kg more. HARD. 

Also another new choreography is double dead rows. Doing twice is hard. Usually dead lifts and dead rows are inserted as a recovery from clean and presses in back tracks, but this time not. 

Choreography fits very well with the song.

Track5: Triceps

Music: High Hopes by Panic! At The Disco

This is a popular song in the U.S. and before 111 was released I listened to this on the radio so many times. Songs were on everywhere. So I heard this at BODYPUMP, I was like, "Ah! This was in the BODYPUMP!" 

There is not really new movement here, and right intensity. Also it is fun doing with this song. 

Track6: Biceps

Music: Walk Me Home by P!nk

Again P!nk. Les Mills loves P!nk to the level almost obsession. I like P!nk, but not much of this song, because the rhythm is not very good for doing BODYPUMP. 

Actually this is not hard. There are many mini breaks between movement, and many biceps rows, which makes this track easy. I hope that next version is harder. 

Track7: Lunges

Music: Face My Fears by Hikaru Utada, Skrillex

It is nice to see again Japanese-related song here. Hikaru Utada is Japanese (actually she might choose American citizenship), anyway Japanese name and speaks Japanese at least. 

111 use a platform and there is new movement. Both squats and lunges are held with one foot on the bench and the other on the floor. Especially this squat style is a little unbalanced and not sure if it is good.

Track8: Shoulders

Music: Focus by Deorro feat. Lena Leon

There are a lot of side raises, mac raises, front raises. Front raises are recently not incorporated, so it is good to have a variety. 

I usually shoulder tracks' "beat" music. This one is good, too.

Track9: Abs

Music: Foolish by Meghan Trainor

My instructor said that this is a weird song, but I like it. This track is all crunches and no harbors. Harbor, then crunch, then harbor....is usually too busy, so it is good to focus on crunches. 

Track10: Stretch

Music: Imagine by Ariana Grande

Not much energy left by the time of stretch, so I don't really care about songs for stretch songs. This song is just okay.  

Instructors at my gym usually play music before class starts. They usually play music from BODYPUMP45 min version. I think some songs from 45 min is different from 1 hr version. One of the songs from 45 in the version 110 is
This Feeling (Tom Staar Remix) The Chainsmokers feat. Kelsea Ballerini. I like this song a lot. It is a great "pre-pump up" song to start BODYPUMP. 

LOVE BODYPUMP!


No comments:

Post a Comment