2020-02-25

Tramping (Hiking) in New Zealand #19: Travers-Sabine Circuit Day2

Travers-Sabine Circuit Day2 (Angelus lake to Angelus peak out and back + Angelus lake to a little before John Tait hut)

Type: A part of loop of 80 km (49 miles)

Time Spent: 8 hours

Day2 Distance: 14.5 km (9 miles)

Elevation change: +610 m, -1342 m (approximately +2000 feet -4400 feet) 

After hiking down from Angelus Peak, we started heading for John Tait hut area. We were planning to do freedom camp in the evening. 

falls, falls, falls

Immediately leaving the Angelus lake area, it was a very steep descend. Grr. New Zealand's standard. Because it was steep, I saw many falls. Big and small, all in the one area. It was very pretty.  

Bridge

Then we arrived at the junction. I was walking ahead of Mr.N.
Mr.N looked at the map and said we had to cross the swinging bridge. There are many swing bridges in New Zealand. This is one of those. The one like this in the left picture, usually there is a sign saying 1 person at a time. As you can see in the picture this bridge was kind of tilted.  Besides, when I was crossing the bridge, the strong winds from left came and it got really swinging! Mr.N was taking picture of me. I was scared.....and then finally reached the other side. Then I noticed that Mr.N was shouting at me. 

Mr.N, "It is not that way. You need to come back!"

Me: What's the hell!? Do I have to cross the bridge again? 

Mr.N tricked me. I made him promise treat meal after done with backpacking.

Pretty river

Anyway we wasted some time doing this then started tamping again. After all the way down from the Angelus hut, now trail came to the river. The river was nice blue. 

On the way we saw a friendly solo female tramper, probably from Eastern Europe according to her accent. She informed us there would be many meadows on the way to John Tait hut where freedom camps can be done. I was impressed how she remembered well. She even told us there was really nice specific area for camping. I have done some section twice in Sierra, but I always have some new discovery for the second time. She headed for Coldwater hut. 

Hopeless Track

The hut names are sometimes funny. There was a junction to the hut: Hopeless hut. The side track to the  Hopless hut is Hopeless Track. Hope hikers to go there are hopeful. 

We soon found a nice meadow a little before John Tait hut and did a freedom camp. OK. One thing I was frustrated during New Zealand trip is sandflies. There were so many sandflies in the meadow. I continuously put DEET 100% on my skin and wore mosquito net all the time at the camping spots. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment