2021-04-13

2020 Winter Camping Trip Day22-Devils Bridge

2020 Winter Camping Trip Day22, 2020/12/17

This day we did 2 hikes in the Sedona area.

Sedona is famous for some touristy including spiritual ceremonies, outdoor activities, and restaurants. About 7-8 years ago when I went to Chaco Canyon, I stopped by Sedona for eating (steak!). I didn't know that Sedona had great hikes until then. When I walked around the town I realized the town is surrounded by red color rocks and mountains. I thought that I needed to come back to the Sedona area for hiking.

An opportunity knocked in this winter trip. We looked up some good rated hiking and tried 2 in the area. 

Devil's bridge
The first one we did is Devil's bridge. Oh gosh it was very crowded. The parking lot was full around 9 a.m. Luckily one car left so we took the spot. When we were getting ready for hiking at least 2 cars asked if we were leaving. Although there were many people it was still doable with social distancing due to the very wide trail. Why so wide? Because the trail is also used for ATV. Well, OK, this was that kind of trail. I wished there had been less people. If I have a chance to come back someday, I will start hiking before sunrise and see a sunrise at the bridge. Despite of the crowd, the Devil's bridge was really impressive. Some people were walking on the bridge, but we didn't do. We know that those stuff can fall ANYTIME. I still remember the Arch rock in Point Reyes in California fell. 

Nice view
I really like the rock color of Sedona. There are a lot of reddish brown rocks. Under the rock there are some trees. In contrast to Grand Staircase-Escalante, this area is more developed and there are many trails available. It is kind of good and bad. It is easy to access some areas, but solitude is hardly gained even in December. Maybe not many people in dying hot August, though. On the way back to the trailhead, we saw some ATVs. It looks like I would get a carsick if I rode it. 

Long Canyon

In the afternoon, we did another hike in the same area. It is Long Canyon hike. It is a hike in the very wide and long canyon, a lot of times we were hiking in the trees. Although the gorgeous rocks can be seen, like in the left picture, admittedly it was not a very impressive hike. Especially at the point we saw the sign "END OF TRAIL" abruptly in the forest, considering 8 mile of hike. I was hoping that the view would be at the end of trail. Oh well. 

Trail ends

The left below picture is the end of trail sign. I don't know why the end was there. After this hike, we stopped by Safeway (I used to go to Safeway a lot but no more as a East coast resident, sadly, I love Safeway) and bought salad and fruit and packed cheesecake. We had feast at the campsite. Camping food does not contain much vegetables, so salad is always good.  






No comments:

Post a Comment