2024-06-14

Grandstaff Canyon/Morning Glory Natural Bridge

Another day hike in the Moab area, Utah.

Mr.N had done this hike before, but he was confused due to the name during planning. Yes, the name of this canyon was changed after he hiked this. Here is the history I read on the panel at the trailhead and book. 

William Grandstaff (or Granstaff), a man of African American decent, settled in the area in late 1870. He was referred to as "Negro Bill"

This canyon was called Negro Bill Canyon because of William Grandstaff, but more tourism and attention in the area led to the petition of terminology. Then it became Grandstaff canyon since 2017.

I was a little hesitant to hike this particular canyon, because the book had a warning about poison oak. I am very sensitive to poison oak. I get severe rash with itches even indirect touch with oil from the plant. For example, when I passed by a puddle near the poison oak ( I did not touch poison oak at all), I had a small splash from the puddle. I got rash on the splash shape. If you haven't had experience, it is difficult to imagine how itchy it is by poison oak-derived inflammation. It is 100 time more itchy than mosquito bites. For a week at work, I had to put ice pack on my rash to focus on working. With ice pack my nerve lose itch sensation, but without it, no way to work on anything.

At the trailhead, along with the Grandstaff history, there is a big sign warning about poison oak. I made up my mind that I turn around anytime if no way to avoid it. I cautiously walked and I didn't get any rash this time. Phew.

Natural Bridge
The hike is short (out and back 4.5 mile) and the canyon is gorgeous. The left picture is the first sight of the natural bridge going deep into the canyon. Technically it is an arch. You can go right under the bridge and inspect it from many directions. Below two pictures you can sense how close you can reach to observe the bridge. Cool and fantastic hike. 






No comments:

Post a Comment