2019-10-13

Camden State Park Camping, Maine

Whoa. Luxury car camping! 

Why luxury? There is Wifi at this campground in Camden State Park, Maine. This was my first time having Wifi at campground in the U.S. It was a suprise, although I don't really need Wifi, and in fact camping is the best way to be away from devices. However it is exciting to know that a campground with Wifi exists in the U.S. 

Not only Wifi, there is hot shower in the rest room. It is individual small room, no coins are needed to get hot water without time limit. Wow. What a campground. 

The only thing it could be challenging in this campground is first-come, first-served. For us living in Boston, going to Maine in early morning is hard. We can't beat local Maine residents. Luckily we got a one second to the last available site around 11 a.m. Yay. 

We set up a tent and went for hiking. It was a short hike starting from campground. Just a quick climb, we were able to see nice Maine coast along the ocean. My ocean is always Pacific (I am from an island on the Pacific), but Atlantic is pretty too. In fact all oceans are connected. 

Maine Coast

The line of Maine coast is pretty. It is soft and worm. The line is not sharp, so it gives me the impression of sweetness and relaxed pace.

Rocky coast

East coast is known for rocky coast, but this side of ocean is not really rocky. After we came back to the campground, we went to the different side of coast. Now this one was very rocky. We sat on rocks and enjoyed looking at ocean for a while.

Then we went back to our campsite and started campfire. Campfire is a must, especially during car camping. Even if car camping, I love to forage. A bunch of firewood were sold at the entrance. I dislike to buy those. I LOVE to forage. Each bunch was $7! There are so many trees everywhere, and tons of dead logs are just on the ground on the campground. Why not foraging? 

Forage-lover is not only me. Mr.N's uncle, Mr.B2 is a foraging junkie. 

BBQ

Over the fire, we had BBQ. Chicken and corns were delicious. Then we continued fire. While we were having cups of tea, neighboring campers came and gave us some firewoods for us. He said that his truck has a full of woods and wanted to get rid of some. I think that he was just nice, not really need to get rid of woods. Probably he is a local Maine person and he can bring woods back home. It was very nice of him. 

Next morning, I started a morning fire (yah, I LOVE fire SOOOOOO MUCH. Because I used all the logs I gathered the previous night, I started collecting some woods on the ground between our site and next site. A couple was camping at the next site (probably local people in their 50 or 60's). The female saw me foraging and said to us, "Do you guys need woods? We are done and there are some here". Mr.N and I said, "Oh thank you." Then we visited their site.

Mr.N said, "Are you sure you don't want to bring back home?"

The woman said, "No, we are done, and we just go home now."

The guy also said, "Take as much as you want :)"

Wow Maine people are so nice!

Two neighbors gave us firewoods! Maybe they all saw us foraging and it was weird for them, because Maine people should have firewoods at home for winter. Anyway after getting woods gift both Saturday and Sunday, I was happy and love Maine people. 

On Sunday we had a plan to kayak on the nearby lake. We arrived at the lake and got concerned, because it was very windy. Probably due to the strong winds, nobody was kayaking there. It is always better safe than sorry. So we decided to go hiking to the trail nearby instead. This trail goes up to the lake we had planned to kayak. 

I didn't have a high expectation, but the view was fantastic. Many small islands were floating on the lake. Blue sky reflects the lake and the contrast with green was pretty. From the hills, I could tell how windy by seeing waves on the lake. It was a good choice to hike up this time. Next time it would be nice to kayak on a calm day. The lake looks very good for kayaking.

While we were enjoying the view, we saw a man and woman in their 60's hiking together. Their dog was adorable. He came to me and enjoyed being pet. The each eye color is different (blue and green, I don't remember clearly though). After I pet for a while, I started walking, but the dog followed me instead of staying with his owner. The owner laughed. Soooooo cute. I wish he could follow me more!

The guy and a female were talking while we pet the dog. Actually only the woman talked how he broke up her ex-husband and the guy was just listening. Obviously she was interested in the guy, but since the guy didn't say a word, I was not sure he was interested in her as well. He was only laughed when the doggie started following me. In-te-resting. 

I really liked the lake and glad we went there.

No comments:

Post a Comment