2019-10-04

Camping at Moosalamoo, Vermont

One weekend in August we went car camping in Vermont. This time we invited Mr.C and Ms.M2. They have camped a couple of times before, but not backpacked. So this time we did car camping. 

Mr.N suggested leaving Boston 8 a.m. on Saturday, but Ms.M2 suggested 9 a.m. since she is a night owl. 

Mr.N and me in one car, Mr.C and Ms.M2 in another car, we separately headed for the Moosalamoo campground, even though we live only a couple of miles apart. The reason? There is no reason. It looks like Mr.M2 doesn't like to carpool. 

A little before noon, we arrived at the campground and ate lunch at the picnic table. The site was very spacious. There was a plenty of space for setting up tents, a set of picnic table, and a big fire pit. 

Viewpoint

After lunch we went out for hiking. The trail starts in the campground, which is convenient and nice. We hiked up to the Mt.Moosalamoo. It was gentle and easy climb and we didn't take long to the viewpoint. Ms.M2 said that it was not difficult. So we decided not to go back from the viewpoint, but continue to another viewpoint and make a loop to go back to the campground. It was an easy hike of 8 miles.

At night we had BBQ. Mr.M2 and Mr.C brought skewers of meat and veges. We grilled over the fire. We also grilled corns. It was really tasty! 

After dinner we chatted around fire. Ms.M2 got freaked out several times due to spiders. 

As night went by, we got sleepy. Now time to go into sleeping bag. Because Mr.C and Ms.M2 didn't bring light source, I loaned my headlamp to Ms.M2. Mr.C and Ms.M2 went to the outhouse with the headlamp. 

Mr.N and I were near the tent and ready to go to sleep once they came back and return my headlamp. 

They came back but at the tent I heard a lot of curse words. There were spiders in their tent. Mr.N and I laughed and waited the spider drama will be gone. Then they went into the tent. Hmmmm. My head lamp...  after a while there was no hint of it coming back.

I sent Mr.N to get my head lamp back, because I am shy to ask to return stuff. I needed it in case I want to search something in the tent and to go to the restroom in the middle of the night, which happens once in a while. 

OK. We went to bed.

Zzzzzz....

I woke up with voices of Ms.M2 in the middle of the night. I heard some F words. 

I thought, "OK. They had spiders again"

I tried to go back to sleep, but their cursing and noise didn't stop. 

Mr.N asked from our tent, "Are you okay?"

Ms.M2 screamed, "No!"

What's going on?

After a while, Mr.N went outside and asked if they needed help.

I stayed in the tent, but from the noise I figured out that Ms.M2 vomited in the tent.  

OMG. We loaned the tent, and sleeping pads. 

Mr.C went to the toilet and got toilet paper and wiped inside. After the mess for an hour at 4 a.m., Mr.M2 went into the car and lay down until 7 a.m. Mr.C slept back in the tent. 

After such scene, I couldn't sleep deep. It was getting light soon after, so body didn't seem to want to go back to deep sleep. Due to that I had a headache in the morning. 

We planned to kayak Sunday morning, but Mr.C and Ms.M2 went home straight in the morning, because Ms.M2 was still feeling sick. 

What was the cause? Most likely meat. However, only 1 person got food poisoning. Maybe one specific piece she ate was bad? 

Ms.M2 said, "I don't know, but anything could happen after such exhausting hike." At this point, Mr.N and I noticed that Saturday's short hike was too much for her. A lot of times when Mr.N plans hiking for a hiking club, some people who participate in them hate him, because hikes are much tougher than the statement Mr.N describes. He say, "moderate", but for some people it is "extremely challenging and exhausting".

Mr.C and Mr.M2 returned the tent and sleeping pads with X!@#S. 

We paid for the campsite and We washed the tent and sleeping pad at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment