2021-02-17

2020 Winter Camping Trip Day11, Grand Staircase-Escalante

2020 Winter Camping Trip Day11, 2020/12/6

We stayed at Grand Staircase-Escalante and went out for hikes. 

The first one was a hoodoo hike. First, we ascended gully. Then we took off the first gully and went to the second gully. Climb, climb, climb.... hard, but good for a morning hike. In the December desert, night and early morning is very cold. Climbing in the morning helps warming up my body. Then by noon, sun warmed up the desert air to comfortable temperature. In the sun it is not cold to stop and take a long rest. This desert climate was a big plus for me, since I am cold sensitive! For Mr.N, who is from Montana, it didn't matter. 
Hoodoo
 
Every step of climb, the view got more glamorous. Then at the top of the hill we saw a hoodoo. It was like a human independently standing at the top of the hill. It was an interesting shape and cool. I love hoodoos. Blue sky without a cloud, hoodoo looked like being proud to be there. It never bores me. 

Wow
 
 
 
After we enjoyed the hoodoo, we proceeded the hike to the middle of nowhere via off-trail. Every step was wow! moment. Cool rocks were everwhere.
Wow2





Again we didn't see a single hiker during the entire hike. I don't know why, but the Zion, which is not far away, has many people and not at all in Grand Staircase-Escalante. Well, maybe off-trail is too much for most people. To be honest, I want to keep Grand Staircase-Escalante as secret place as possible. I was actually hesitant writing these places on my blog!

Canyon!
Cottonwood Narrows
After this 6 mile hike we still had a little time in the afternoon. So we went to Cottonwood Narrows. This is another beautiful canyon to walk. We leisurely walked for about 4 miles until the sunset. This is an easy hike and great for casual hikers to taste Grand Staircase-Escalante. 
 
campfire
After this hike we left Grand Staircase and headed for Bryce Canyon National Park. We camped near the National Park. As everyday we did we had a fire! I am very into fires, because it is fun and more practically it is warm. It is hard to eat dinner without fire. In contrast, Mr.N says no fire needed. He says that I should build character without fire. I don't need to build character.....it is already hardcore camping at 10F, let me have fire.





No comments:

Post a Comment