2021-02-02

2020 Winter Camping Trip Day7-Angels Landing

 2020 Winter Camping Trip Day7, 2020/12/2

Last night we camped in Kanab, Utah. Why Kanab? Answer is to apply for the Wave permit. 

The Wave. The Wave is a hike in Coyote Butte North in Utah. I have heard about the Wave a lot how amazing it is. This is on my bucket list for a long time. Permit is required to hike the Wave, and the probability to get it is 3%. From the statistics data (Recreation.gov has data), December, January, February are the least popular, meaning a little higher chance to get a permit. March, April, May are the most popular months. There are two ways to apply for a permit: online or walk-in. I heard that online was more competitive. Based on the information, I thought that applying for a walk-in permit in December might be a good chance to get it. So one of my purposes for this trip is to apply for a walk-in Wave permit. Usually walk-in permit lottery is held at the visitor center, but due to COVID-19, lotteries are held at Kanab Center Gymnasium, everyday at 9 a.m. It is a typical gymnasium with a basket ball court. 

The lottery procedure is kind of silly. The gymnasium opens at 8:30 a.m. First, each group fills a paper and hand in to a ranger. You get an application number. At 9 a.m., a ranger calls each number and you need to shout your name for your presence. If you are not there, your application is void. Then a ranger rotates a toy (I don't know what it is called, the circle shape that contains balls inside and each ball has a number). One ball falls out from a toy after rotation. The number on the ball comes out from the toy is a winner. On the first try we didn't win. There were 50 group applied, and 3 groups won. 10 people per day get permits. For example, 4 people/group + 2 people/group + 3 people/group + 1 person/group can go hiking the Wave per day. This is a waste of time (if you don't win), because you can't head for hiking until 9:20 a.m. Daytime is short in winter, so I wished the lottery time was earlier, but sigh, rangers don't work earlier I guess. 

After the lottery, we head for Zion National Park to hike Angels Landing. Since I have some friends hiked there and posted pictures, I was interested in hiking there. On the way we found that the last 3 miles of the road (Zion Canyon Scenic Drive) to the trailhead was closed. It seemed that the park was limiting a number of people to go to Scenic Drive. We overheard the security person saying no clue when to open, so we decided to walk to the trailhead. That means adding 6 miles to the Angels landing hike 5.4 miles, thus total is 11.4 miles. 
Along the Scenic Drive

Walking on the scenic drive road was actually nice. Since the road was closed, no cars were driving. I was able to see the scenery slowly and take pictures. Driving there would be also good, but there would not be enough time to see and take pictures in a nice slow way. 

After 3 mile walk, we arrived at the trailhead. We started walking. It was interesting, because the first part was asphalt. I didn't know that. Going up with switch back was nice, and for us it had been a while to walk switchbacks, because there is no switchbacks in New England. Switchback is one of the things I feel the West. I was thinking that 5.6 mile hike of Angels Landing would be 2.8 miles (at least half) in New Hampshire. Thanks to the switchbacks, I didn't feel the hike hard. National Parks are always like nannies. Even there was a toilet on the way. Mr.N found a small building and said to me, "Oh is that a toilet? I will go there" and he said, "Maybe that is not a toilet." It was behind trees, so it was unclear. Then a bystander hiker said, "It is a restroom, but it is pretty gross." Mr.N replied, "I will prepare for it." After a while Mr.N came back and told me it was IMPOSSIBLE to use it, because urine EVERYWHERE on the floor. He had to use a wilderness restroom. Yikes.

Massive rocks
 

Great View
The last part was steep, but chains were provided (attached to the rocks). I sanitized my hands regularly for COVID practice.
All the way to the top, the view was great.

The scenery from the top was ultra mega amazing. I loved it so much. Pictures tell you that more than my description. We sat down and enjoyed the 360 degree view. Every single direction has a great view! I ate anpan and had a hot tea. How gorgeous it was!!!!

After we enjoyed a lot, we retraced the trail we came. On the way back the sun was going down and the rock color was becoming orange. This was a wonderful and memorable hike.






No comments:

Post a Comment