2019-09-20

Grafton Loop Backpacking in Maine Day2 p.m no.2 and Day3

Mr.N walked down on the dry creek to see if there was some water. No luck. 

Then he walked up on the creek. After 5 minutes or so, he shouted, "I found a puddle!"

He actually found small spring. Phew. We didn't need to walk another 2 miles in dark. We settled in and ate pasta for dinner. While we enjoyed after meal tea with chocolate, I saw a small headlamp light coming to us. Wow. A hiker came in very late. 

He talked to us, "My friend is having a rough time with knee issues. He is taking time." 

Mr.N answered, "Oh dear." 

The guy asked, "You guys are the only one here?" 

Mr.N said, "Yes."

The guy said great and went to the site further. 20 minutes or so, the guy having knee issues came in and they pitched tents. We were able to see their tents in the distance. Hmm...?

We noticed that the tents were the same as ones we saw previous night at our campsite. At first when the guy talked to us, I didn't notice the same guy we saw a day before, but I think they were the same guys. Considering the distance and unpopularity of the trail, it is very unlikely for other two guys to have the same tents. 

I always feel nice to have fellow hikers on the same itinerary. We did similar experience having similar itinerary on the Teton Crest Trail in Grand Teton. 

I woke up in the middle of the night I heard sounds of rain hitting out tent. Grrrr. The forecast was "chance of shower", but it was raining continuously. Again I woke up in the morning, it was still raining, but it was not bad in the forest. Trees are so dense in Grafton Loop, actual water didn't come hit too much. 

I went out of the tent and actually surprised. Wet forest was very pretty. It was extra quiet. The rain covered all the noise. 

Wet leaves were shining. The forest was in the moist, which was pretty.

I did enjoy walking in the beautiful wet forest. Well, for a while. At the same time I have to admit it was not very comfortable wearing rain jacket and sweat couldn't go out and the rain jacket was stick to my arm. 

Luckily it was a good distance to be in the forest, meaning enjoyable distance, because the day3 was only about 6 miles. 

Surprisingly, near the trailhead, some people were starting backpacking in the rain. How hardcore they were. 

Super hardcore, and nice loop in the long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment