2019-09-04

Wind River Range Day2 no.2

4.5 mile of walk with 1000 feet climb, we were at the first viewpoint, Photographer's point. On a sunny day, waves of granite rock mountains were ahead of me. What a pretty view!

At Photographer's Point

This reminded me of Yosemite. Somewhat the undulating gray mountains looked like the hills in California. Then I heard a random hiker said, "It looks like Yosemite." 

OK. I am not the only one and it made me smile by sharing such feelings with a random fellow hiker.

Seneca Lake

Along the way there are numerous beautiful lakes. One of them was Seneca lake. We stopped on the hill of the lake and ate bread and crackers.

Here we saw old guys' day hikers group here. I was surprised those guys came here as a day hike. 8.5 mile to the Seneca lake from the trailhead, so their dayhike will be 17 miles. I saw many old backpackers (70+) on this trail. It looks like hardcore hikers from all over the world come here. Indeed in the parking lot we saw cars with many states plates from California to Washington, Arizona, New York and Canada. 

This day's campsite is near the Island Lake. On the way to Island Lake, we were on the downhill. One group was coming toward us from Island Lake. A group of three, two women and an old guy. The ladies were ahead of the guy, and the two women stopped along the trail and let us pass. Then the guy who was a little behind of ladies talked to them, "Uphill hikers have the right of way!" At first he told me, but he actually said to the ladies. One of the women replied to him, "We are waiting fore you!!!" She might be a little annoyed by the guy. Then the guy replied to the lady, "Uphill hikers have the right of way!" He said the exact same thing again. 

I know the hiking etiquette: hikers on uphill have the right of way. 

In this case, I saw already the two ladies were off the trail and standing, I passed them. It seemed like the guy was in a bad mood. 

In many occasions, including me, hikers going uphill let pass hikers going downhill. This happens because hikers going up want to stop for a little and catch breath, just simply tougher on uphill. 

I think that it is case by case. I think that this should be flexible. Sometimes a hiker on uphill has a good spot to stand safely to let downhill hiker pass. This situation can happen on a very narrow and steep trail. In my opinion, safety is the most important factor, rather than "uphill right of way rule" 

Honestly, I don't really care. Just one of them need to let pass others. Being kind is great thing. 

A little after we passed the grumpy guy, we saw two rangers. One serious ranger explained to hikers about food storage, campsite selection, fire restriction etc. Basically use bear proof storage/hanging food on tree, 200 feet campsite rule, and no fire. I had never expected to see rangers in National Forest. 

We searched a campsite to meet all the criteria the ranger told us, but it was difficult. I proposed to go look for a site for the next day's direction: in that way we can a little reduce the next day's hike distance. Also our plan was to go to off-trail, so nobody goes that direction. Also that way our campsite will be way further than 200 feet from any trails, which is one of the criteria.

We set up a campsite for the night and started hiking to Titcomb Basin with a small pack. The picture below is Island Lake and Titcomb Basin behind. 
Island Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment