2019-08-25

Grand Teton Day5 no.2

Marion Lake

After finishing lunch at Marion Lake, we started climbing toward Fox Creek Pass. 

Actually less than a mile from Marion Lake, Teton Crest trail leaves Grand Teton National Park and goes into National Forest. 

This day going into National Forest, coming back to National Park, then again going into National Forest, then camp in the National Forest, more specifically, Jedediah Smith Wilderness. Technically, national forest doesn't require any permits to camp, so there is no restriction about "permit zones" enforced in the Teton National Park. 

I prefer more Sierra permit system: with permit you can camp anywhere within the vast area. You only state on a permit where to start and exit. For example, a permit for John Muir Trail allows you to camp anywhere between Yosemite Valley to Mount Whitney which is 200+ miles. In this way, if you have extra energy at 4 p.m., you can go a couple of miles more. If you are tired, you can stop at 3 p.m. anywhere. Oh well, there is a different system in each region.

Quite a view

After about a mile in the National Forest, again we came back to the Teton National Park. This region was quite memorable. Suddenly the vast open area view came into my eyes. Teton range in the distance ahead. Dry meadow and rocky mountains are at both sides. One straight trail going straight towards the Teton. Blue sky is above. What a......WHAT A VIEW. 

I was enjoying the view and feeling grateful. I was thinking, "Wow I am soooooo lucky to be here!"

To be honest, this variety of views were unexpected and really nice. Because most Teton brochure and ads are only focused on Teton mountains. I didn't know such interesting scenery every single aspect of Teton. I am so glad I did Teton Crest Trail by backpacking. 

This "zone" is Death Canyon Shelf zone for backpacking permits and this is super competitive to get it. I understand why. 

So colorful

Not only mountains, but also wildflowers were blooming. It was hard to capture in one picture due to various colors. Pretty. 

Then we again left National Park and entered National Forest. We headed for Sunset Lake for camping.

Sunset Lake

Since we arrived at Sunset Lake later than most people camping there, there was not much good spot. One spot we took first was good view, but immediately I notice that it was insane.  Why? I was surrounded by 100+ mosquitoes even with DEET. 

I suggested changing the spot. Then Mr.N got upset. I knew how different the mosquito situation. Even a slight breezy spot has no mosquitoes, which is next to 100+ mosquitoes site. 

Mr.N insisted everywhere is the same. I insisted how different each spot is. I am extremely prone to being bitten by mosquitoes, I have experience about mosuquito +/- campspots.

 Then, we found a breezy spot. There is a drastic difference between the previous spot. I knew why the first spot was empty. Mr.N was finally convinced....phew. 

The spot seemed to be a marmot's favorite spot and I saw marmot was looking at me from behind a rock, then he lay down. He was adorable!

Then we ate pasta with Japanese sauce (mentaiko, meaning cod roe), which was delicious, looked at sunset from the tent, then went to bed. 

The next day would be 16 miles +/-4000 feet.....

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment