2019-06-02

Parc National du Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, Canada-Day1

日本語は英語の後にあります(Japanese version is after English)

On Memorial Day Weekend, we went camping in Parc National du Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, Canada. 

A long weekend is an opportunity to go far away. Quebec in Canada is possible distance from Boston for the long weekend. We took this occasion and went camping in National Park of Mont Tremblant. It is a pretty park with many lakes, river, and mountains.

We left Boston around 6:30 a.m. on Saturday and drove through New Hampshire, then Vermont. We waited for about twenty minutes for the border crossing. I first handed over the officer my passport, but apparently they only need my green card. They don't check passport! Canada-US border control is simple. 

The officer asked our occupations and destination. We said national park, but the officer said it is provincial park.  The park seems to be operated by both national and provincial in Canada.

Quebec country side is vast. No trees. You can see far away until a horizon. According to Mr.N, Canadians cut down all the trees. I don't know if it is true. There are farms and I saw many elevators. It reminded me of Mr.B2, who takes pictures of elevators. I am still figuring out why elevators attract him. He has still mysteries. 

Then, we reached Montreal.  The first real city after we entered Canada. It is in Canada, but all the signs in the city are French. People in the city speak French. I knew that everything is in French in Montreal, but it still made me feel weird. 

I had looked up a bakery I wanted to try, so we went there. I wanted to try French stuff in Montreal. The bakery I found is famous for Kouign-amann. Kouign-amann is a buttery cake. The origin is Britanny, France. I had tasted Kouign-amann in Japan, but I wanted to try it in Montreal. The name of the bakery is Au Kouign-amann. Kouign-amann there is so buttery! Much more buttery than I remembered and expected, and very good. We also tried quiche and croissant. Croissant was also buttery and good. Actually it was more buttery than ones I had in Vanoise, France. It maybe the signiture of Britanny region. It was interesting. 

Then we headed for Parc National du Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, Canada. Unfortunately it was raining when we arrived. Despite the campsite was quite nice along the lake, but due to rain we gave up having a campfire on that day and ate smoked salmon crackers in the car, and went to bed with hoping the next day would be sunny. 

In the middle of the night I woke up several time. The very nice thing about being awake for little at night was I heard nice singing of loons. They were making pretty sound. It echoes very well at quite night on the lake. I felt good by that and fell asleep again. 

Here is the picture of loons I saw during this trip.

Loons on the lake

  メモリアルデー(戦没将兵追悼記念日)の週末(アメリカではこの週末は月曜が休みなので3日の休暇)にカナダのキュベック(日本語ではケベック州と表記されるのを現在知った)にあるモントランブラン国立公園までキャンプ遠征した。

モントランブラン国立公園はたくさんの湖や川、丘がある美しい公園だ。国立公園だがケベック州によって管理されているようだ。 

我々は土曜日の朝6時半頃にボストンを出発。アメリカバーモント州 とカナダケベック州の国境線のところで20分ほどチェックの検問ブース待ち。検問といっても空港みたいな大層なものではなく、どこへ行くか何日間かなどを聞かれるだけ。もちろんパスポートのチェックは入る。。というかアメリカ国民ならパスポート、私のような移民の場合はグリーンカードだけでOK。日本のパスポートは必要ない。検問のオフィサーはさらに職業を聞いてきた。そして少し雑談(これが行列の原因!)してカナダ入り。

ケベック州に入ると木々があまりない。昔、農業のために切られたらしい。なので遠く水平線まで見渡せる。農場や牧場が広がる地帯だ。そしてしばしのドライブでモントリオールに到着。

ケベック州では公用語がフランス語。モントリオールでも人々はフランス語を話している。店のサインも全てフランス語。モントリオールではカフェに入りクロワッサンとクイニーアマンを食べた。モントリオールということで、フランスのものを試したかったのだ。このカフェはYelpでも高評価だけあってとても美味しかった。店員さんは皆英語を普通に話してくれたので助かった。もちろん地元の人とはフランス語で話していた。 

さらに1−2時間のドライブでモントランブラン国立公園に夕方到着した。しかし雨が降っていてあまりキャンプファイアーする気も起きなかったので車内でサーモンクラッカーなどを食べてすぐにテントに入り就寝。

夜中に目が覚めた時、ルーンが鳴いているのが聞こえた。とても静かな夜に綺麗な澄み渡るルーンの声がよく響いて、とても良かった。写真は公園で見たルーン達。

No comments:

Post a Comment