2019-07-14

Training: BODYPUMP 109 Review

Training is essential to stay as a strong hiker who can go deep into the wilderness.

Training does not sound fun? For me it is fun, especially BODYPUMP is so much fun.

I am soooo into BODYPUMP, and actually addicted. As I wrote before here at How to Stay in Shape for Big Hiking in this blog, I go to BODYPUMP class at least once a week, often twice a week. 

BODYPUMP is a whole body workout with barbell or hand weights, or just body weight. Workout is 1 hour and consists of 10 tracks. Each track focuses on one muscle group (detail will be below). You carry relatively lighter weight and do repetitive workout, such as deadlift, clean and presses, overhead presses. This program is invented by Les Mills, a New Zealand company. 

The unique feature of BODYPUMP is doing workout with music. That's why it is much more fun. Les Mills releases new version every three months. Each version has different music set, and different patterns of workout. 

Here I will review version 109.

Track1: Warmup

Music: Jackie Chan by Tiësto & Dzeko ft. Preme & Post Malon

This is very typical set and there is not much new movement at ver109. I like the music.

Track2: Squats

Music: Natural by Imagine Dragons

There is new movement, pausing at the bottom. Pausing at the bottom means more work to back to stand up position, so 109 is considered harder according to Les Mills. However, I don't think it is hard. I personally think 108 is harder. Maybe I am getting stronger, or squats is using my strongest muscle group, so it might be different feeling for others. Music is okay, I wish it was more faster beat one. This music is kind of slow for BODYPUMP.

Track3: Chest

Music: Satisfied by Galantis feat. Max

Chest track is interesting. There is innovation: walking pushups. I don't know, is this a New Zealand thing? Anyway, it is a little tough but not too bad. For me, using bar is the most challenging part at chest track, so ver109 chest track is not too hard for me. I like the beat and rhythm of music. 

Track4: Back

Music: The Island Pt. 1 (Dawn) [Skrillex Remix] by Pendulum

There is new movement. Pulling the bar from knee height to chest in one movement. The sounds and beat for the new movement part is really good.

Track5: Triceps

Music: I Like It by Up & Aside

Personally I think 109's triceps is hard. A lot of triceps pushups. Music does not really much with the track. 

Track6: Biceps

Music: Shadowboxer by Good Charlotte

It is not too tough or easy, as expected. I like Good Charlotte, but this song is too slow for BODYPUMP. Biceps are not my strongest muscles, so more fast beat music helps. 

Track7: Lunges

Music: The In Between by Elephante feat. Anjulie

This is a new (I think very old versions had it) movement, at least for me, using bench for lunges. I don't think using bench adds extra challenge. Maybe because legs are stronger in my muscle group. Also half of the lunge track is actually squats. I know much harder lunge track in other versions. 109's lunge track music is really good. I listen to music while lunge track and it really boosts my strength for lunges.

Track8: Shoulders

Music: Blah Blah Blah by Armin van Buuren

Rotation fly is still here as appeared in ver108. Shoulder track is always tough for me, so this one is also tough. What makes it tougher is the music. Weird. Blah blah blah for BODYPUMP? Not sure.

Track9: Abs

Music: Complicated by Mura Masa & NAO

I like the music, but I am not really convinced. "Complicated" reminds me of Avril Lavigne's song. I believe Avril's song is more famous as "Complicated".  I love Avril's Complicated, so during ab track, I am always thinking Avril's song is better if using Complicated, and actually that helps to forget the toughness of ab track. 

Track10: Stretch

Music: Deep End by Daughtry

Stretch is desert for the workout. Feels good with any music. This song is relaxing is slow, which is perfect for cooling down. 

 

Overall, I like version 109. It is hard but I think it is not the toughest version.  

Some new movements makes it more interesting, but personally I like really tough version to become stronger.





 




 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment