2019-05-05

Maroon Bells 4 Pass Loop Backpacking Day1

Backpacking in Colorado. It had been always on my bucket list. 

First time I heard about Colorado is as a place where Rocky Mountains are. Even most Japanese have heard of Rocky mountains. I knew about Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP). So first, I put RMNP into the plan. However, I knew that there are many more place to hike, because there are so many mountains there.

Several years ago, I visited Colorado to attend a conference. It was held in Keystone, a ski resort. Many scientific meetings are held in Keystone. There was some free time during the conference, and I snowshoed in the Colorado mountains. I was amazed by the beauty of scenery. Then after conference was over, I went to Boulder and walked in the snow local park. That was very beautiful, too. 

The reason I was interested in Boulder was because of my favorite marathoner, Naoko Takahashi, who is a gold medalist on Sydney Olympic marathon. She trained in the mountain at 7000 foot high in Boulder. It is quite unusual for athlete to train at such high altitude. Of course they train at higher altitude to increase red blood cells and hemoglobin, but not at that high mountains, but only a little high place. Naoko Takahashi was different. She ran and ran and ran on a trail in Colorado mountains. Since I heard that, I had been interested in seeing mountains in Boulder. I was amazed by seeing mountains in the Boulder area and impressed by the fact training there. 

Since then backpacking in Colorado had been on my bucket list. I wanted to explore more the Colorado mountains.

However, I didn't have a specific area I wanted to go. I quickly looked up on the internet and the 4 pass loop in the Maroon Bells came up. I immediately booked an airplane ticket. 

Result? It was spectacular.

Maroon Lake

On the first day, we started at Maroon Lake. There is no parking at the lake. You need to park several miles away, then need to take a bus. 

Maroon Lake is already stunning. If you are not a backpacker, just walking around scenic loop along the lake is very good. 

After a little walk along the lake, the trail goes up into mountains. On the rocky part, I saw pikas. Pika is a cute animal. Pikachu is named after a pika. The pika in the picture below, he might be monitoring the surrounding area. 

Pika

This day we didn't hike to the pass. The day2 has two passes. On the first day, we hiked to the head of West Maroon Creek. On the way the view was beautiful. Mountains, meadows, rocks, snow patches, animals, sun, blue sky......I had everything I can ask for. How delightful the hike was. It is always happy being on a trail.  

コロラドでバックパッキング。ずっとしてみたいと思っていたことで、バケットリスト入りをずいぶん前にしていた。

最初にコロラドという場所を聞いたのは日本にいた頃だろう。 確か、ロッキーマウンテンがある場所として知ったと思う。ロッキーマウンテン国立公園がコロラドにあるのは知っていたので、コロラドバックパッキングの旅を計画した時、ロッキーマウンテン国立公園はすぐにスケジュールに入れた。しかし他にも数え切れないほどの山がコロラドにあるということも知っていた。

最初にコロラドを訪れたのは数年前に学会に参加した時だ。スキーリゾートのキーストーンでのミーティングだった。キーストーンでは数多くのサイエンス系の学会が開かれる。その学会中に自由時間があり、私はスノーシューを雪の山の中で行った。これが素晴らしい景色で魅了された。

キーストーンでの学会後に、日帰りでボルダーを訪れた。ボルダーに興味があったのはシドニーマラソンの金メダリストである高橋尚子さんがボルダーでトレーニングしていたからだ。私は高橋尚子さんのファンで、ボルダーの山での特訓ということに興味があったので、ぜひ一度この目でボルダーの山々を見てみたかったのだ。高橋尚子さんは2500メートル級の山で赤血球・ヘモグロビンを増やすためトレーニングをしていたそうだ。ほとんどのアスリートはここまで高い山でトレーニングはしない。やはりQちゃんは違う。

ボルダーでは雪のトレイルを少し歩いてみた。白の景色はとても綺麗でQちゃんへのリスペクトを考えつつ綺麗な景色を楽しんだ。

この時からコロラドでもっとバックパッキングしたい!と思っていたのだ。しかしロッキーマウンテン国立公園以外は特にどこに行けば良いのかがわからない。そこでインターネットで検索すると、マルーンベル4パスループというのが出てきた。写真も綺麗そうだし、プランに入れることにした。そしていざコロラドへ!

1日目のマルーンベルループはマルーンベルレイクから始まる。この湖、すごく綺麗だ(1枚目の写真)。高い山に囲まれ、魅惑的な緑色の湖。いきなりすごすぎる景色から始まるハイキング。もし時間がなければこの湖の周りを歩くだけでもここまで来る価値があるだろう。そしてトレイルは登りに。岩がたくさんあるところを歩いていく。岩にはたくさんピカが(2枚目の写真)。可愛い!ピカチュウの名前の元となった動物だ。1日目のハイクはウエストマルーン川まで。3枚目の写真にあるように、草原、山、雪、青空、空気を堪能。トレイルにいるというのは本当に幸せだ。

No comments:

Post a Comment