2019-01-25

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim Backpacking Day5

Colorado River

On Day5 we hiked from the Cottonwood to the Indian Garden campground. I really liked crossing the bridge over the Colorado river and hiked up along the river. I couldn’t imagine how hard it was to construct the bridge. I admire all the explorers in the past. The place where we crossed was wide and it had plenty of water. The color was brown. It was not transparent at all and looked like chocolate milk. I had never seen this kind of river, so it was very impressive. I was convinced that that river could be a water source for several states. The current was slow and calm, but clearly huge amounts of water were moving towards the lower level. It was powerful. It reminded me that I am so small in the magnificent canyon, but it also made me want to try something big.

Ribbon Falls

On the way to the Indian Garden campground, we had to stop at the junction to the Ribbon falls.

Why?

Two days before, on the way to the Cottonwood campground, we went on a short side trip to see the Ribbon Falls. The falls were so pretty. Brownish canyons, transparent water, and green moss made a great color combination. To see the falls from the bottom, we left our backpacks and walked for a few minutes. When we came back to the place we left the backpacks, I realized that a raven had taken my snacks from the side pocket. Actually I didn’t mind the raven because it stole my Japanese snacks but not American snacks (M&M).

While we were resting near the Ribbon Falls, Mr.S2 said, "Whose jacket is this?" It was a purple down jacket. It was none of ours. Somebody seemed to have forgotten it. It was a Patagonia women's jacket. I tried it and it fit perfect. We could have taken it, but we decided to leave it at the trail junction. I left a note that describes where and when we found it. We decided to take it if it would still be at the junction 2 days later. We were going to pass that junction again two days later on our ways back.

2 days later,  the jacket was gone. I looked for note from the owner but there was not one. I really hope the real owner took it. I knew how frustrating and sad it is when an important thing was stolen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment