2019-01-26

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim Backpacking Day6

Day6 was the final day of our backpacking part. We woke up before sunrise and went to Plateau Point. This was only 1.5 miles away from the campground. As the name indicated, this was the only plateau area around there. From there, you could see both North and South Rims. Far below, you could see the massive Colorado River. After we saw the sunrise, we headed back to the South Rim. 

 

Plateau Point

 

Sunrise reflecting at Plateau Point

 

As we got closer to the trailhead, the more tourists there were. I felt weird because I suddenly saw so many people.

When we reached to the trailhead, we took a group picture. When I realized that we had completed this big backpacking, I was really moved and felt accomplished. It was unexpected. To be honest, I had never felt like this before. I immediately noticed why; a sense of camaraderie in the beauty of nature.

After we finished backpacking, we walked to the parking lot. There was a nice paved trail to the parking area from the trailhead. Many “normal” visitors were walking there. Because I didn't see many people other than backpackers, I felt like I came back to the real world. Along the way, there were many panels explaining how the canyon was formed. In addition to that, over twenty types of rocks were displayed along the way. Like little kids, we touched all of the rocks and read all of the panels (except for a grownup Mr.S1). We sometimes chatted with random people. The closer to the parking lot, the more visitors we saw. In the crowd, I heard a lot of people speaking English (of course) or Chinese (somewhat surprising), and a few people speaking Japanese (surprising). We were glad that the car was still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment