2019-02-25

Cross-country Skiing at Notchview

On a sunny day in February, we went out for cross-country skiing in the western Massachusetts. Notchview is located in Windsor, MA. This town is almost NY and VT state. From Boston, it is about 2.5 hour drive. Notchview has 25 miles of trails. In winter, most of them are for cross-country skiers and some trails are for snowshoe hikers. Most trails are above 2000 feet and the highest point is 2300 feet. Some trails near the trailhead is mostly green trails, and then blue trials, then farthest trails are black. Green trails are easiest, blue is more difficult, and black one is the most difficult. Green trails are all groomed, most blue trails are groomed, but some not. All black trails are not groomed. 

taking a break

At the trailhead, there is a lodge. There, one needs to pay for the daily use. It is $18/day/person. I thought that it was a rip-off. If you become a member, it will be $10. Member fees is for $50 for single , or $70 for family. We were already there, and not really interested in becoming a member, so we decided to pay $18/person.

Black trail

First small fun was there were two goats at the lodge. They were really cute. It reminded me of goats during my Tour du Mont Blanc trip (journal is here at https://himebackpacker.blogspot.com/2019/01/tour-du-mont-blanc-day6.html). The goat was really interested in my basket of poles. She munched it a lot. Cute!

Judges Hill is the highest point

Then we started with groomed green trails. Green trails are mostly flat. It was piece a cake. Then next was blue trail with groomed. Then next we went to an ungroomed black trail. It was steep to ski up. It was only 300 feet, but it was tough for me. After we got to the highest point, it was now downhill. We chose a blue ungroomed one instead of black one, because I am not good at steep down hill. Despite of blue, it was difficult to go down on ungroomed trail. Besides, trails were tilted and very narrow. However, I got brave and agressive and went straight down, even though I fell many times. Mr.N suggested to zigzag by turning a ski 180 degrees, but I decided to ski down, because I think I can't get improved without falling. 

Mr.N said again, "You can go zigzag."

I said, "NO!" 

I was determined to try and error.

 

Because this is near Green Mountains in VT, I saw some mountain views from higher point, which was nice. 

After difficult ungroomed section, groomed section became much easier. After skiing, we ate sandwiches that is brought from home, at table area in the lodge. 

Next time I can try more black trails!!ヽ( ・∀・)ノ┌┛←emoji of determined

Nothchview website http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/berkshires/notchview.html

No comments:

Post a Comment