2019-02-28

John Muir Trail Journal Day1

I did 211 mile (340 km) John Muir Trail thru-hike in July, 2014, by myself.

JMT hike is memorable and life-time accomplishment.
Every night during JMT, I wrote journal. I will share them.

 

Day1-Happy Isles to Sunrise Creek (a few miles before Sunrise Camp)

It was exciting to finally have started this JMT journey.
It was sunny, typical Sierran weather.

For me, this was the first day of the 16-day trip, the people around the Valley were mostly sightseeing. They were not even dayhikers. They had daypacks or just water bottles. Some of them were totally out of shape. They looked at me like I was crazy because I was carrying a huge 35-pound backpack, which was almost 30% of my weight. Weird.

It was my 4th time hiking in today's area. It was always nice to see the Half Dome, but it was not very new to me.
I also planned excessively aggressive itinerary for the first day. The trailhead was at 4000 feet, and the goal was 9000 feet high. It was too much, so I stopped at about 8000 feet point near Sunrise Creek. I set up my camp in the middle of nowhere and went to bed. I was too tired to eat dinner.

I'm now worried about the next 15 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment