2019-02-05

Glacier National Park Backpacking/Camping Trip Day2 and 3

Day2 was quite memorable. After having a campfire and dried my wet shoes (they were still completely wet by wading in the Kintla lake to avoid the bear). We hiked at a good pace on trail to Boulder Pass. We kept a good pace even in the off-trail section and reached the last downhill. Mr.N went to check how steep it was and said that it might be really steep. Anyway we started descending. 


It didn't take me long to notice that it was the steepest portion I had ever descended with a heavy backpack. It was a trickle in the gully, so, it was very slippery. Also we had heavy backpacks, it was challenging to balance. During the descend rocks often fell, so only one person was able to move at a time. It was only 400 feet down, but we took 3 hours to decend. 

I was scared but I would say it was a surreal experience because the scenery was incredible. The huge glacier was in the distance. Steep mountains, Mt.Kinnery and Kintla Peak in the back, and a big waterfalls made by the glacier were making a huge and powerful noise. After the descend, I was tired but having dinner in front of tremendous glacier was just amazing and I will never forget it.

 

Day3 was also memorable. I saw the gigantic glacier really close and even walked on the glacier for the first time in my life.

Becuase we planned to camp at the same place for both the 2nd and 3rd night, day3 was a day hike. I felt that a daypack was really light compared to a 65L backpack. We got up at 6 a.m. Although sun had already risen, the glacier was not yet under the sunlight. While I was eating breakfast, the glacier gradually got sunlight and changed its color. It was beautiful.

We hiked on the saddle and approched the Kintla Peak. It was tough.
Being near the glacier was dynamic. I saw a huge black rock sliding on the glacier. It was in the distance, but the it sounds loud. Also I saw a part of the glacier removed from the huge main chunck. It was again the low and big sound.
At a glance, the glacier looks very calm and beautiful and seems to sit quietly, but it actually has its dynamics.

On the way to Kintla Peak, we encountered a very narrow ridge. It was only 0.5m-width. In one side was the 2000 feet cliff, in the other side there was a 500-foot glacier below. It was too scary to move on. It was stupid to keep going on such a dangerous rocky terrain so we decided to go back to our campsite. 


After coming back, I spent a few hours just staring at the glacier. 

It was a priceless time, tiny 3 of us in front of a tremendous but beautiful glacier.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment