2019-03-14

John Muir Trail Journal Day15

I did 211 mile (340 km) John Muir Trail thru-hike in July, 2014, by myself.

JMT hike is memorable and life-time accomplishment.
Every night during JMT, I wrote journal. I will share them.

Today was the last official day hiking on JMT.

I finally reached the summit of Mt.Whitney. I still can't believe that I walked from Yosemite. I hiked 216 miles! It was a 46,000 foot elevation gain. 


Today I left Guitar Lake at 5:30 a.m. I had plenty of time, but I remembered how hard it is to summit Mt.Whitney, so I left there earlier than I had planned.
The changing colors from night to morning from the sunrise was beautiful. The color of Guitar lake changed every minute. First it was dark blue. Then it became orange. Then it becaame blue, and then finally green. Guitar Lake was quiet as if he was cheering for me to reach the summit.

After I reached at the junction of JMT and Whitney trail, I left my heavy backpack there and summited Mt.Whitney. It was the last 1.9 miles to the summit. 2 years ago, I thought the 1.9 miles was endless. This time, I thought, "Oh it's already the top!".
Acclimatizing completely was the key.

The scenery was incredible. Seeing the undulating Sierra mountains, I was speechless. I love the Eastern Sierra. At the top, I officially completed JMT. This is a lifetime accomplishment.

Although I finshed JMT, I need to decend to the trailhead to go back to the normal world. Today I decended to the half way point. I almost ran out of food, but I saw a JMTer who had too much food, so he gave me 5 energy bars. Lucky me. I was thinking about the food I would eat in the town. They were pancakes (the famous pancake at the Whitney Portal Store), Korean BBQ, Chinese, steak, burger, french fries, pepsi.....

Then I set a camp at Trailcamp.

Guitar Lake at 5:30 a.m.

Guitar Lake at 5:30 am

Whitney summit

Mount Whitney

Guitar Lake from near the top

Mount Whitney


No comments:

Post a Comment